Ruby on Rails resources for newbies
- Agile Web Development with Rails Edition 3
- Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Web Applications by Patrick Lenz
- Advanced Rails Recipes: 84 New Ways to Build Stunning Rails Apps, by Mike Clark
- The Rails Way
- The Ruby Way by Hal Fulton
But, I would also suggest you check out these other free resources which keeps up to date with the technology.
Screencasts and Podcasts
- Railscasts by Ryan Bates – http://www.railscasts.com
- Learning Rails – http://www.buildingwebapps.com/podcasts
- Peepcode Screencasts – http://www.peepcode.com
Ruby Learning Hub – http://www.rubylearning.org/class/ by Satish Talim. They have a lot of free courses on various subjects but one should do the Ruby course first.
Rails Magazine – www.railsmagazine.com
- http://www.loudthinking.com/ by David Heinemeier Hansson (creator of Rails)
- http://www.rubyinside.com/ by Peter Cooper.
- http://mephistoblog.com/ by Rick Olson and Justin Palmer
- http://hivelogic.com/ by Dan Benjamin
- http://redhanded.hobix.com/ by _why the lucky stiff
- http://nubyonrails.com/ by Geoffrey Grosenbach
- http://errtheblog.com by PJ Hyett and Chris Wanstrath
- http://www.slash7.com by Amy Hoy
- http://weblog.rubyonrails.org by the Rails core team
- http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/ by Jamis Buck
- http://www.railsenvy.com/ by Gregg Pollack